Re: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:25:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Kristofer T. Karas wrote:

> If you've disabled the functionality in
> the kernel as you have in 2.1.111+, then you can't enable it with
> hdparm. This is at least partly what Mark's (rightfully) complaining
> about.

Oh, I completely and totally agree that the 2.1.111 "squash it with a
sledgehammer for now" approach is completely the wrong thing to do. That's
why there's a large "FIXME", and why I didn't remove the line altogether.

I did it because I knew that if I was to just email Mark and ask him to
disable DMA by default he would just ignore me. So yes, I started a
flame-war, and I'm sorry for that. But I'm happy that it seems that at
least it brought up one problem to the radar of people that way.

Linus