Re: FS Corruption in 2.1.109 (fwd)

Mark Lord (mlord@pobox.com)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 20:12:18 -0400

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I'm sure DMA is enabled on a lot of machines. And DMA works beautifully in
> 2.1.x on a lot of machines too. It may just be that for some reasons 2.0.x
> is less likely to use DMA than 2.1.x is.
>
> For example, remind me what the default configuration is in 2.0.x? I know
> that 2.1.x defaulted to having CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA set to 'y', but in
> 2.0.x we have CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRITON instead (again defaulting to 'y'), but
> when the name changed maybe something else changed too?

Yes, we now test/support many more chipsets.

If the problems were occuring on those chipsets,
the issue would be more obvious.

But one of the two reports is for a 430HX system,
which I *think* is also supported in 2.0.xx (not verified).

A patch is coming your way (Linus) shortly,
as I'd prefer to leave the driver in a useable
state for the next guy.

--
mlord@pobox.com
The (ex-)Linux IDE guy