Re: linux on rs/6000

Christopher Horn (chorn@warwick.net)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:55:07 -0400

It runs on most of the 7043 models, but those are PREP compatible PCI
machines. Older 2.1 kernels (2.1.51 if I recall) boot on 7024 machines,
but failed to see the secondary PCI bus or the onboard NCR SCSI
controller. I suspect newer 2.1 kernels probably work fine on these
machines as well, but I'd need a PREP boot image with serial console
support compiled in to try it. The 7024 machines are also PCI based. And
it should run on the newer CHRP compatible RS/6000 machines without much
trouble, but I don't know if anyone has actually done it.

Not sure about the 520 though. If it is not microchannel, then no. I'd
love to see Linux running on all the RS/6000 hardware possible, and a
Redhat PPC distribution that could be installed on PowerMacs or RS/6000
hardware. We could then scrap AIX, especially if the Linux/SNA project
comes to fruition.

Cheers,
Chris