Re: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled...BLAH...BLAH...

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:31:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Hubert Mantel wrote:

> We had this same discussion here at S.u.S.E. some time ago (only talking
> 2.0!), but we decided that the number of problem machines is too low to
> change the default. If with 2.1 the number of machines that show this
> problem is about 1% we _need_ to change the default. 1% means _many_
> machines!

This isn't a question of disabling [U]DMA, it's a problem of identifying
broken hardware, and THEN, and ONLY then can we track bugs meaningfully.
Blacklisting is sufficient in the end!

> > Alan
> > Very close to being the ex Linux Sound/video/network/etc person
>
> You should make hot line support on Red Hat for two or three days. This
> could convince you that sane defaults are a very good thing ;-)

I work in a helpdesk, and you are all too correct. I assume I don't need
to talk about the average intelligence of callers to helpdesk...

> I hope Linus does what he thinks is right.

He will, and forgetting about DMA was only an attention getter... It
worked, didn't it?

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2017 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2036 for the rich and the dead.
905 days remaining in the Raw Deal.