Files >2G in size & Increasing SCSI disk drive limit.

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 21:11:54 -0500

Hello All;

These two quesitons tend to be coupled particularly in two areas:

Databases & Computer Graphics Arts.

It will bite us in a relatively short period of time.

A client just today asked about when they will be able to move
a database of roughly 500GB (yes a half of terabyte) from HP-UX
to Linux.

RAID may be a temporary solution, but even some of their databases
which use "cooked" files as opposed to "raw" disk partitions are larger
than 2GB.

There is also the case of Computer Graphics Arts. Animations
particularly
3D animations can easily break the 2GB file limit.

I have already heard about a patch to the vger CVS tree by Jakub;

<Begin Quote>
It increased the size of dev_t to handle more discs,
which required new syscalls, which then required new (patched)
applications (like fdisk(8) and mount(8) IIRC).
<End Quote>

and the dev_fs project.

I am curious to here of other ideas, proposals, etc.

I figure we have roughly three months to design and code these
enhancements,
and three months of testing. That would give us a release date roughly
coinciding with when Oracle & Informix are scheduling their releases.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt and all the milk has turned and Captain Crunch is waving farewell when the Big One finds you may this song remind you that they don't serve breakfast in hell ==Breakfast==Newsboys