Re: Layout/Setup of Kernel

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 04:50:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > TRULY boils down to is what Linus thinks. Linus is GOD. Linus
> > says "No, I will do it this way, and that is it mortal. If you
> > want a divided kernel, feel free to divide it yourself and
> > distribute.". Linus is GOD. GOD says no. No amount of arguing,
> > complaining or anything will change that, not now, not ever.
>
> [ Good dog. Sit. Jump. Roll over..

How many times??? ;o)

> See, I have them trained to perfection. My army of mindless drones are
> only months away from taking over the world. When the day comes, all
> opposition will be CRUSHED ]

Heheheh. Well, we're not mindless, but we shall certainly take
over the world! Take no prisoners! No other OS shall survive!
;o)

> But yes, if somebody wants to split up the standard kernels, and if he can
> do it in a way that people trust somehow, please do feel free. _I_ am way
> too lazy to bother with it, but as the question does come up fairly often
> there are obviously people who would like to see it done.

Yes, but they all seem like they want YOU to do it, and I think
that is why it gets so heated. ;o) Personally, I can't see how
difficult it is to write a simple bash script which tar's up a
kernel tarball, a driver tarball, and several arch tarballs. And
so if it is that easy, I think that people should do it for
themselves and leave you to do the real work.

You know... the Transmeta "product" that is being worked on...

The subliminal world domination machine? I know its safe to
talk about because no-one would believe it anyway. The only
reason I know about it is from finding the subliminal hooks in
the kernel myself. ;o)

> My only concern is that it has to be done well enough that it doesn't
> cause more problems than it solves, and it has to be done in a way that
> people trust the split up archives for some reason. But it could all
> probably be done automatically by a reasonably simple script.
>
> Linus

Exactly. I doubt that it would get used by many nonetheless
unless you or one of the other core developers were behind it. I
don't see why people find it so hard downloading and installing
patches... but that is another story...

My personal request is that the tarballs unpack to "linux-2.x.x/"
but I know how you feel about that allready. ;o) My solution is
to unpack, and repack with a script once I've downloaded. Simple
solution. ;o)

Well, take care, and don't forget to pick on some mortals today.

;o)

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com