Re: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 18:32:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> >It's just that I personally think that even if on just 1% of machines we
> >have occasional problems because 1% fo all machines are sub-spec, then we
> >shouldn't default to being as aggressive as we are.
>
> So we should patch also the sound dma subsystem to not use the
> enable_dma()/disable_dma() loops that totally lock my last very recent P5
> UP Epox motherboard (VIA chipset)?

That's a driver that I have no control over, and I don't even use.

But if you can fix the driver, I'd love to have it fixed. I have no idea
what the implications of your suggested fix are - it may be that the
proper thing to do is to fix enable/disable_dma() so that thet work for
your motherboard instead of removing them altogether.

Note that personally I consider a bug that reliably locks up the system if
there are hardware problems to be a much more benign bug than one that
silently corrupts a disk some of the time. The reliably lockup you can at
least debug fairly easily ("Oh, this system locks up every time I try to
use sound - I'll complain loudly" followed by Alan telling you "your
system is broken, known bug in xxxx" is much better than "damn, somehow
the data I have written over the last five months got subtly corrupted")

So certain kinds of hardware failure are certainly more acceptable than
others. And depending on that acceptability, coupled with how hard they
are to work around, they may or may not be worth workarounds.

Linus