Re: Irritating ext2fs corruption

Jakob Borg (jb@k2.lund.se)
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 16:08:58 +0200

On Sat, Aug 01, 1998 at 09:49:03PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Jakob Borg wrote:
>

> > Deleted inodes not being written to disk isn't usually a large
> > problem, but lately it has become one for me. I burn a lot of cd's and
> > have a few cd images laying around. About 1 time of 4 i delete such an
> > image, I do not get the disk space back. Only way to get it back is to
> > remount and fsck the partition. Always with just one "deleted inode
> > has zero dtime" and masses of scrolling.
> >
> > I know this is is considered a "normal" behavior and nothing to worry
> > about, but it's still irritating... Any fix?
> >
> > This is on a IDE drive, the problem seems to be more likely to occur
> > if there is a lot of disk access going on.
> >

> I dismount the drives by hand during shutdown then wait awhile
> before hitting the switch. I was given a patch for a recent version
> of the kernel that waits internally after a dismount to do the same
> thing, but it is not in the current distributions.
>
> I have my own version of 'reboot' to fix the problem when I want
> to reboot over the network.

Thanks, but the problem isn't with uncleanly unmounted drives, the
problem is that deleted inodes don't get written to disk while the
dives are mounted _or_ when they are unmounted. I can cleanly unmount
and remount the drive 10 times, it still needs an fsck to retrieve the
space from the deleted inode. I don't think should be the intended
behavior.

--
Jakob Borg <jb@k2.lund.se>
[Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 narayan 2.1.112 i586]