Re: SMBFS: Question...

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@alcove.wittsend.com)
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 08:53:09 -0400 (EDT)

Chris Wedgwood enscribed thusly:
> On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 01:09:43AM -0500, Shawn Leas wrote:

> > I wonder what I need to do? I have recompiled util-linux since going
> > 2.1.112, I recompiled smbfs, and still I get these damn errors... Can
> > someone enlighten me?

> smbfs in recent 2.1.x kernels uses samba to mount files (because some
> of the connection related stuff in done us userland, which makes lots
> of sense when you look at the mess called SMB).

The trouble is that it is STILL stuffed up and getting worse.

The command syntax changed in a way that makes a royal muck-up of
the kernel automount. The fix to autofs is ugly at best (the new smbmount
has several of the old parameters rolled into a single string parameter
making it a royal pain to change the code) and would break backward
compatibility in any case. As far as making sense goes... The change
in syntax which totally hoses backward compatibility goes totally contrary
to "making sense" no matter which way you shake it. You break programs
and scripts and can't switch back and forth like many of us like to do.

I have a script that replaces smbmount, checks kernel versions, and
then calls smbmount.smbfs (if running 2.0.x) or smbmount.samba with
appropriate parameter translations (if running 2.1.x). [Some of us still
have systems we multiboot between 2.0.x kernels and 2.1.x kernels]. I had
it working great with 2.1.109 and the latest smbmounts from smbfs and the
one from the samba cvs checkout...

That script is at http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/smbmount.html

Considering the number of downloads I get for this script, I would
say this problem seems to have struck a nerve with a number of people
and really should be corrected... That is corrected as in fix the busted,
incompatible syntax or provide a default compatibility mode.

Next problem is that is smbmount(samba) was NOT working with 2.1.111
and was giving me authentication failures and mount errors. Someone else
(may have been on this list) pointed out some problems in some of the
structure sizes that have recently changed. Apparently some discrepancies
between those sizes in kernel land and in user land are causing some functions
to break. Now this is hearsay on my part, as I haven't dug into this morass
deep enough to verify that. The only thing I can verify is that smbfs /
smbmount is toast on 2.1.111. I'm going to be testing 2.1.113 today with
the latest from the samba cvs tree and maybe digging into it deeper.

Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/