Re: Documentation on dcache (dentry) interface?, umsdos

Matija Nalis (mnalis@public.srce.hr)
Mon, 3 Aug 98 23:52 MET DST

In mail.linux.kernel, you wrote:
> If there is a tutorial, specification or any detailed
>documentation on the Linux 2.1 dcache system, I would appreciate a
>pointer to it. I am thinking of taking a wack at getting umsdos
>working under 2.1. Also, if anybody is already working on getting
>umsdos to work under 2.1, I would appreciate knowing that too, so that
>I can avoid duplication of effort.

Yes, I'm working on it for some time now. It's been long since last
official patch (2.1.102), but it is under major rewrite now (all internal
messaging via inodes is being converted to dentries, not only external
interface). It should make those inode->i_count wraps and jump pretty
visible, and with those eliminated, there should go hardlinks and
rename/move stuff, making it almost usable for beta-testing.

If you're interested, I'd be very grateful in any help you can provide. I
can send you latest sources (that are currently in somewhat worse condition
than 2.1.102, but it is to be changed soon), and answer any umsdos (or VFS)
related question that might help you. I still don't grasp some of the dentry
points, but most of it is clear. Nice reading material is VFS.txt from
Richard Gooch (If you don't have it, I can dig URL out from somewhere)

I'm practially only one now working on umsdos. I really could use some help
in fixing it.

Best regards,
Matija

--