FollowUp: Problems booting 2.1.x kernels

Chad Gatesman (chadg@redrose.net)
Mon, 03 Aug 1998 19:05:19 -0400

Chad Gatesman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to run the 2.1.112 kernel on my Linux box. My
> distribution is Slackware 3.1 (highly upgraded ;).
>
> I have upgraded everything that was recommended and more. Here is a
> list of the things that I think are important to mention that I have
> installed:
>
> kbd-0.96
> ld.so-1.9.9
> lilo-20
> linux-nfs-0.4.21
> modutils-2.1.85
> net-tools-1.45
> ppp-2.3.5
> procinfo-12
> procps-1.2.8
> sh-utils-1.16
> sysvinit-2.74
> util-linux-2.8b
>
> My compiler is gcc version pgcc-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)
> with libc-5.4.46.
>
> I am able to compile and install the kernel fine, but when I reboot it
> hangs right after it adds the swap in rc.S. At first I thought there
> was a problem with update, so I upgraded it, but that didn't resolve
> my problem. I also commented out the swapon in rc.S thinking it may
> have been hanging there. The boot just continued into the fsck, but
> hung just as it started into it.
>
> At that point I though there may have been a problem with init in
> general, so I upgraded it. It still hangs. Does anyone have any idea
> what my problem is? Please don't tell me to upgrade to RedHat or
> something. I have modified my Slackware greatly, and rarely even
> refer to it as Slackware. This is the beauty of Linux. There should
> be no reason to upgrade the distribution, if it is maintained
> properly. (I would be still on Slackware 2.0 if it wasn't for ELF ;)
>
> Please reply to my email address as well, because I am not on this
> list. Thank you.

I have been able to fix my problem. I found that the problem only
existed because I was compiling the kernel with "-mpentium -O6." This
isn't a problem with 2.0.x kernels, and aparently is with the 2.1.x
kernels.

--
Chad Gatesman                 Home:  203.730.1389
Software Engineer             Work:  203.798.1007 x144