Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 23:01:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Alex Buell wrote:
> think it's a bloody good idea, and should be in the kernel for 2.3.x.
> [Probably too late for 2.2.x]

Frankly, if the whole console mess can get in under the code freeze like
it did, something that will greatly assist distribution vendors in
autoconfiguration like devfs should certainly be given solid consideration
for 2.2, especially given the level of stability it's at by now, and the
number of people successfully running it.

Richard has done an excellent job with his devfs patches, and has
addressed nearly every concern I had about the idea (bugwards
compatibility, specifically), plus deals with a large number of existing
problems with /dev, such as management of devices, major/minor numbers,
read-only or non-ext2/ufs/etc root filesystems, etc.

It's a required patch for the machines I manage at this point.

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

Linux labyrinth 2.1.108 #2 SMP Mon Jul 6 01:14:37 CDT 1998 i586 unknown 10:50pm up 7:24, 3 users, load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01