Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
04 Aug 1998 16:34:54 +0200

John Alvord <jalvo@cloud9.net> writes:

> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
>
> > It's a required patch for the machines I manage at this point.
>
> The devfs patch takes Linux one step further toward being Enterprise
> ready. The current scheme where a device identification can alter after a
> planned or unplanned configuration change... that is OK for most home
> systems where there is only one or two hard disks. And it is clearly OK
> for developers, who Know What They Are Doing. But it is weird and strange
> and potentially disasterous in a larger systems environment.

A less intrusive alternative is scsidev. It queries the scsi interface
at boottime, and creates the appropiate /dev/scsi nodes. Available from
tsx-11.mit.edu /pub/linux/ALPHA/scsi/

Of course devfs is still a good thing, but it is not really needed for the
application you describe.

-Andi