Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 16:40:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 11:23:55 +1000
> From: Richard Gooch <Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU>
>
> > However I don't think devfs will make it into 2.2. Also the kernel
> > gods have (had?) some issues with the concept entirely.
>
> IIRC, only HPA has had strong objections. Other kernel gods have
> either been quiet or supportive. And don't give up on devfs making it
> into 2.2: last I heard Linus is still "actively considering" it.
>
> Actually, that's not quite true. I had a chat with a number of other
> Linux kernel developers at the Linux Expo, and there was a substantial
> number who think devfs is really ugly and unnecessary. Personally, I've
> just decided to not waste time (and linux-kernel bandwidth) argueing
> about it given that it definitely won't make it into 2.2, and I haven't
> yet had the time to implement the smaller replacement solution which
> will hopefully head devfs off at the pass....

Maybe you'll write an LVM and head Heinz off at the pass, too? You are
way to argumentative, not those who are simply trying to drum up support
for it to FINALLY be rolled into the official tree.

Specifically, what is ugly about it? Is it intrinsic in nature, or
something fixable? Is the design flawed? Then how? Back up your
complaints with more than "Well, I talked with some unnamed Kernel guys,
and they said...", and Richard will take you seriously, and maybe even fix
whatever is bad/flawed about it. Or, you can do it yourself!

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2022 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2041 for the rich and the dead.
900 days remaining in the Raw Deal.