Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
4 Aug 1998 20:10:31 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.980805022712.16942B-100000@dragon.bogus>,
Andrea Arcangeli <arcangeli@mbox.queen.it> wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:
>
>>Specifically, what is ugly about it? Is it intrinsic in nature, or
>>something fixable? Is the design flawed? Then how? Back up your
>
>I don' t know about the Theodore idea of ugly but I agree with him. _I_
>see devfs flowed by its start. I just explained my thoughts about devfs
>some month ago before the first release of devfs. devfs is a workaround.
>We would not need devfs at all if the kdev_t would be a 64 bit unsigned
>integer.
>
>Instead of reply me that with devfs the root device _can_ be mounted
>readonly and we _can_ boot with a root fs with no major/minor number
>support, please tell me that you need to use these features.

I need to use those features.

With a devfs (in 2.0.x; 2.1.x is too big[1] :-( ) I get back 12k on
Mastodon 1.44mb install floppies; I also get a cleaner way of
telling what devices are on the system than my current scheme of
starting a logger thread and weeding through the kernel messages to
see if /dev/ttyS0, /dev/lp, and so on exist. 1.44mb is not very
much room to put install and recovery systems on, and it's cheaper
to drop magic filesystems like /dev into the kernel which can be
compressed without doing screwy things to the filesystem.

Plus with devfs I might be able to fulfill my dream of having a
Linux install/recovery disk on a MS-DOS formatted floppy.

Not having to chase major and minor numbers is also a compelling
reason for a devfs.

____
david parsons \bi/ [1: I use libc 4.8.0 instead of libc 5.0.9 for
\/ my install floppies because 4.8.0 makeholes
to 100kb less than libc 5.0.9. I NEEEEED /dev back.]