Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:11:04 -0500

Richard Gooch wrote:

> David Luyer writes:
> > > Richard you missed the whole point. Companies and clients read the FAQ
> > > the run away screaming. All they see are this really "ugly" naming
> > > scheme.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Terry L. Ridder
> > > Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)
> > > "We do not write software, we compose it."
> >
> > Companies and clients use Solaris. I think that's all that needs to be said
> > on that point.

I will readly agree that companies and clients use Solaris. They did not
have much
input into the design of Solaris, whereas they feel they do have voice
in the
design of Linux. Whether anyone listens to me is immaterial, I have done
my part
on behalf of the companies and clients I consult to. If everyone wishes
to ignore
their input so be it. I will repeat it one more time than I am crawling
off to bed.

They view dev_fs in the same light as they view Solaris /dev and HP-UX
/dev.
It is precisely that form of /dev they are attempting to get away from.
They want simple and to them /dev/sda[1-15] is simple.

I personally view dev_fs in that same light. I hate Solaris because of
/dev.

<snip>

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)
"We do not write software, we compose it."

When the toast is burnt and all the milk has turned and Captain Crunch is waving farewell when the Big One finds you may this song remind you that they don't serve breakfast in hell ==Breakfast==Newsboys