Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 16:45:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

>before I wrote devfs. But then when you buy a shiny new disc, you have
>to go and create inodes again.

Since you have also to dismount your hardware, recompile the kernel and
reboot, running `MAKEDEV audio` after the boot is not so difficult.

>> 2. I don' t know very well the fs code but I don' t think the problem
>> is the number of inodes, but instead the number of file entry in the
>> directory /dev/. So dividing /dev/ in /dev/block /dev/char for example
>> would speed up things I think.
>
>Yes, it helps a bit. But the problem just gets shifted to a
^^^
Something like O(n*log(n)) instead of O(n).

>> I don' t know if devfs is so malleable/configurable.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean having subdirectories?

root@dragon:/tmp# cp -a /dev/hda3 .
root@dragon:/tmp# mount /tmp/hda3 /park
mroot@dragon:/tmp# mount
/dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hdc on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,unhide)
/tmp/hda3 on /park type ext2 (rw)
^^^^^^^^^
root@dragon:/tmp# umount /park

Can you send me your latest devfs to give a try? I tried to download from
the www site but it seems to stall from here.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli