Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 16:55:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, David Luyer wrote:

> I think the solution should be a /proc/dev directory and people should be
> able to symlink /dev to /proc/dev if they so desire, or symlink only specific
> devices, or ignore it totally. If /dev is symlinked to /proc/dev, the proc
> filesystem needs to be able to support a /dev/log socket being created (and
> remaining until next reboot), and anything else userland does to /dev.

Well, you are interestingly intuitive about the whole idea behind devfs.
It is similar to your idea, and there are a lot of ways to configure it,
beyond even your hopes. I hope you do try it. (For now, with "Real
Compatibility TTY devices", though...

> Now, if devfs is ugly compared to that, then yes, it doesn't really deserve
> to live. However I believe there is room for a /proc/dev populated only with
> real devices, with four major advantages;
> * you can instantly see what is there
> * faster directory searches
> * makes things a lot easier for builders of distributions
> * makes it a lot easier (for the user) when adding a new device/driver

Thanks for the rational discussion.

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2023 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2042 for the rich and the dead.
899 days remaining in the Raw Deal.