Re: single kernel tree ? was Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 20:04:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Christof Damian wrote:
> I think this will be a big mess in the future (maybe it allready is). The
> current RedHat-kernel-RPM has about 30 source files and patches and a 2.2
> version has probably has many more. It will come to a point where you can't
> rely on the kernel features anymore.

I agree. An octopus like split in the tree gets tiresome for those who
want to use new stuff. Much of the problem though is that maintainers
sometimes do not keep up with current kernel changes, and therefore break
the tree with their changes.

This is what Linus is presumeably trying to prevent. Richard Gooch,
however, is VERY quick to squash bugs. One of the reasons DEVFS doesn't
break much is it's inherent simplicty, and the fact that it does not rely
on any sort of specific hardware.

DEVFS will work roughly as relyably on a 386 as an ALPHA, I presume. Am I
correct in assuming this?

> It might come to a point where you got to recompile you kernel, if you want
> to run informix & co, because you need large-files, lvm, direct disk
> access, or whatever.
>
> And we will loose to big advantages of an open source kernel: "peer review"
> to make the developers happy and "millions of eyes finding bugs"

YES!!! This is my feeling too. However, careful caution with an eye
toward stability is needed, as some patches might be too convoluded to
know the full impact. DEVFS is not one of the bad ones!

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2023 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2042 for the rich and the dead.
899 days remaining in the Raw Deal.