Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 21:02:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> And the device-file lookup in the case of block devices is done only at
> mount time (I hope to be right here ;-) so it' s really not importatnt and
> it would be fast enough also with zillon of device in the same directory.
> In production server I mount hd once a month (the power usually go down
> once a month ;-).

Don't know if I can agree with that. With disk, maybe... I mean, when
you list /usr/X11R6/bin, /usr should be mounted somewhere, and all that
stuff the kernel already has in use. It's those things that aren't in use
all the time that get helped. ttys, null, other pseudo devices, etc...

1st, we shouldn't concentrate on the performance aspects of DEVFS, rather,
concentrate on the following:

1) There are reasons to break the chains of maj/min nodes, and there are
reasons to keep them (POSIX for one), and DEVFS does BOTH!!!
2) Ease of system maintainence. SYSV style/looking devices tell you
EXACTLY where your disks are at a glance, and that is GOOD. Auto device
generation is good too...
3) It might help performance with some configs.
4) It will NEVER hurt performance, only help it if ANYTHING.
5) everything else...

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2023 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2042 for the rich and the dead.
899 days remaining in the Raw Deal.