RE: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Graeme Gregory (ggregory@bitbox.co.uk)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:27:20 +0100

o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s wrote:
> >2. What advantage does dev_fs offer us over the present system?
>
> /dev entries don't exist for nonexistant devices, and
> do exist for existing devices.

Beginners like me dont have to try and work out how to create
new device node thingies for new drivers in the kernel. Especially
when like for the fbset distribution I couldn't get it to compile
until I hacked it a bit.

As I see it devfs would make sense when installing on a new machine
as /dev is not screwed up already. On an old machine it is much
more up to the users preferences/skill.

I am basing these opinions on the discussion in this list as I havent
had the time to break my machine for a couple of days while setting
up devfs.

Graeme

--
G. Gregory