Re: No more connection to internet after Kernel 2.1.113

Michel Catudal (bbcat@netonecom.net)
Fri, 07 Aug 1998 19:43:36 -0400

Aaron M. Ucko wrote:

> Michel Catudal <bbcat@netonecom.net> writes:
>
> > The only things that aren't loaded are the modules which I load
> > manually. The keymap is loaded the same as with the other kernel. I have
> > my own hand written map file which I load with loadkeys mca.map
> > This still work when I boot under the other kernel.
>
> Interesting...try comparing the output of
>
> strace loadkeys mca.map

Here is part of the dump of strace. I removed the duplicate of a couple
of the last lines which had several pages of the same line.

The ld.so.preload file doesn't exist, ld.so.cache does exist though

Something obviously has changed in the keyboard support, I will have
to look in the documentation if there is any mention of this.

I'll run it under the other kernel later on tonight or tomorrow.
One thing that doesn't work anymore which I just noticed was the
colors in the directory in the console mode.

On another subject, as for the speed of the Internet that I was talking
about as being extremmely slow; I think I found the problem. When I
compiled the kernel 113 I forgot to check the hacking box which happened
to be turned on, meaning profile is on. Last night I recompiled the
kernel after I added the patch to bring it to 114. This time I put just
about everything in the kernel since RedHat refuses to load any of my
modules on boot up. I disabled profile, it turns out that my connection
seems to run either about the same as under kernel 34 or better. Very
hard to say but it works very well.

I do get a weird error as I connect, something about an obsolete
/dev/cua0 and that I should update software to use /dev/ttyS0. Which
software is it talking about?
And it says farther up it says that inetd can't find /usr/sbin/in.identd
what is supposed to be in that file?

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking