Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net)
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 02:50:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

> >> but
> going
> (whatever).

> >> True but this could also be done with /dev/c0t0l0 (c = controller, t =
> >> target, l = LUN) And I was mainly arguing against the previous writer's
> >> insistance that having equally cryptic names will help Linux compete in
> >> business.
> >
> > Except that you need slice in there somewhere, unless you wanted
> >a directory for the /dev/c0t0l0, but that doesn't make much sense...
> >

> I know, just left it out, no sense adding the obvious. Add a p0 to the end.
> And my argument is more directed to those devices which have low population
> limits by nature.

I would agree w/ you there, if it has a low population
limit by nature perhaps whatever is currently being used will
be sufficiant, though we have to make sure that what we think
has a low population limit by nature is actually the case.

> > I don't think Linux would have any problem competeing for
> >business if it used a /dev/c0t0d0u0 or whatever naming scheme, in fact
> >I think it would help it to break into SUN shops. The /dev/sda naming
> >scheme I feel would hurt when it comes to trying to get into businesses
> >because it is very limited, and puts in place some rather hard limits.
> >

> Not really. After all there's nothing preventing us from looping to
> /dev/sd1a after /dev/sdz. Or for hard coded device names /dev/sd1a for disk
> at ID 0 on controller 2 and /dev/sda for disk at ID 0 on controller 1, etc.

Except that it only kind of makes sense, if that.

Stephen