Re: PPP --- TCP bad checksums

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:39:38 +1200

On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 02:22:47PM +0100, Peter Broadbery wrote:

> I've noticed that I'm getting a lot of TCP bad checksums when
> connecting to the net via PPP. These started when I upgraded to
> 2.1.108 from 2.1.99. I'm running 2.1.115 at the moment, with the
> same problem. Is this a known problem, or is there any way of
> tracking this down further, preferably without putting excess
> strain on my 'phone bill?

Some checksum errors should be expected, but not vast numbers of
them. Phones line aren't always terrible clean, and all modems suck
by design, so some data corruption in inevitable.

I would guess earlier kernels didn't report the errors and silently
dropped the offending frames.

If your getting large number of these, it might be a serial overrun
in which case you to be able to reproduce these messages fairly
easily.

-cw