Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 18:07:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Shawn Leas writes:
> I'm not sure exactly what you mean. If you mean: have a kernel config
> option to mount devfs onto /proc/devfs, I don't that that is a good
> idea. The reason being that you would also need to mount /proc in the
> kernel. Better to leave these things to your boot scripts.

Err, yeah, wuzn't thinkin. Uhh duh!

> The reason there is a config option to mount devfs onto /dev is that
> there is some kernel code which opens files in /dev before the init
> process runs the init programme.
> However, if you're only using devfs as an information provider to
> devfsd, then your /dev will have real device nodes anyway.
> If instead you mean have your boot scripts mount devfs onto
> /proc/devfs, that would require an extra entry in /proc for the mount
> point, which could be a config option. Once you have the mount point,
> you can mount things in your boot scripts and tell devfsd where the
> mount point it.

I guess the way I meant to ask it was...

Where would the smarts be? Would it be an option to devfsd to populate
the /dev, or would it be some property of /devfs that is set in the way it
is mounted so that devfsd could simply infer that it should act as a /dev
populator? Is that a better way to ask? Or is my question bogus somehow?
It might be... Steak and champaigne for breakfast.. Nice fer a change,
but makes you tired.

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2027 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2046 for the rich and the dead.
895 days remaining in the Raw Deal.