Re: Intel NLX motherboards

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:26:59 -0700 (PDT)

NLX describes the form factor/motherboard layout not the chipset. The
databooks is a standard lx p-II chipset. Incedentaly If yooou really want
a blast from the past the motherboard is connected to the riser card that
holds the isa/pci slots with what looks like an s-100 bus connector...

lx boards have been extensivly tested against 2.0.x and 2.1.x. Which fica
board is this product built around. If I were you I'd would be looking at
what the ide controller is and what the ide drive is as well. you may
need to compile the kernel with the appropiate ide bugfix...

joelja

On 11 Aug 1998, Scott Hassan wrote:

> I have been having trouble with Linux on the new Intel NLX
> chipset. More specifically on the Sahara II Databooks made
> by FICA. Here is a URL for a specification of a Databook:
>
> http://www.fica.com/english/product/system/databook/sahara.htm
>
> The cool thing about these machines is the formfacter. They can
> handle a Pentium 300 II, 256M of memory, two disks, and are
> *only* 3.75" high. I figure I can put 12 on a standard 23" rack
> shelf. It seems that I should be able to fit 72 of these in the
> rack. Way, cool!
>
> RedHat 5.1 installs okay on the machine (PII300/256M/6.4G) but
> after a day, it crashes with "bdflush, sleeping..." messages.
> I am running 2.0.35.
>
> I saw this same problem with the Intel BX chipset and I found
> that 2.0.35 fixed this problem.
>
> Has anyone tested Linux out with the Intel NLX chipset?
> Does the 2.1.x kernels work with the NLX?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Hassan
> FindMail Communications
>

> -
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E