Re: IDE-Driver Disk Accounting Missing, Maybe SCSI too......

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@astro.dyer.vanderbilt.edu)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:43:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Mark Lord wrote:

> Andre M. Hedrick wrote:
>
> > I am willing to make the assumption and statement that the lack of
> > disk_accounting based on HWGROUP add-request to disable interrupts,
> > could be the primary cause of fs-corruption on IDE drives.
>
> Exactly *what* "corruption" are you referring to?
> I have not seen any recent non-DMA-related reports of such,
> but then, it seems I'm usually the last person to be told of such.

See "MESSAGE #1 :: Section #1"

Mark, I know of no cases of "non-DMA-related reports", either.
I am hunting for something to allow someone to save face, with
an apology to you, but no real luck. I have yet to find a flaw.

However IMHO, Linus must still believe that the IDE-DMA has problems or
he would have removed the following.

if [ "$CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI" = "y" ]; then
# Either the DMA code is buggy or the DMA hardware is unreliable. FIXME.
bool ' Generic PCI bus-master DMA support' CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA

You know that I still back you, and the work that you have done.
I am hunting through the source trying to find anything to question and
confront Linus directly about his lack of forsight in this matter.

OH DAMN, I just spouted HERSEY....So what!!!

SINCE I AM THE ONE WHO SAID IT, DON'T BOTHER "Mark Lord"!!!!!

I will stand alone, if needed to help change the direction of current
kernel thinking.............Good Maintainers are hard to find, and I
personally would like to see your return.

I gather from previous "public" messages to the "linux-kernel" listserv
that the IDE-DRIVER is going to be "Orphaned" soon........ This bites.
See "MESSAGE #1 :: Section #2" "MESSAGE #2"

Regards,
Andre Hedrick

References Below................

MESSAGE #1