Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:16:29 +1200

On Mon, Aug 10, 1998 at 04:09:50PM -0500, Shawn Leas wrote:

> Now you miss quote me... Hehehe... Actually, you are wrong. As I
> have stated in the past, devfs quite nicely solves the problem of
> device node creation, which as richard has illustrated could
> possibly be a problem on large systems, at least a problem of
> convenience.

As many people have pointed out - you can populate the necessary
devices in userland, and it need be no less convenient that devfs.

There is no doubt devfs is a nice way to side step a number of
awkward issues, but that doesn't make it an optimal solution for
everyone.

> Good grief, you're like totally against it in any form, aren't you?

I speak only for me - but the thing I hold the most against devfs is
the number of fanatical message I've seen pointing out how wonderful
it is ignoring any and all rebuttal or criticisms.

devfs is/has become a religious issue much the same and GGI/KGI. Can
you please let this die or take it elsewhere? I'm even offering to
start a list if it will help (devfs-rules-the-world@lists.f00f.org if
anybody wants it).

-cw