Re: Problem with portmap/RPC

Chris Pirih (proverbs@wolfenet.com)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:34:12 -0700

At 09:27 AM 08/11/1998 -0400, root of all evil (Rem) wrote:
>portmap: RPC call returned error 111
>RPC: task of released request still queued!
>RPC: (task is on xprt_pending)
>portmap: RPC call returned error 111
>RPC: task of released request still queued!
>RPC: (task is on xprt_pending)
>lockd_up: makesock failed, error=-111
>portmap: RPC call returned error 111
>RPC: task of released request still queued!
>RPC: (task is on xprt_pending)

[etc]

I've fought with this a couple of times myself. Apparently the
problem is with NFS locking -- NFS needs portmap, but the portmap
gets started *after* the init scripts mount all the NFS file
systems. You can fix it by either changing the init scripts to
start the the port mapper (rpc.portmap) before mounting NFS
(mount -at nfs) or you can add a "nolock" option to the NFS
mounts in your fstab. The init script fix is trivial in
Slackware (just edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2) but RedHat init is so
complicated I just blew it off and used the "nolock" option.