Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@alcove.wittsend.com)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:00:04 -0400 (EDT)

Shawn Leas enscribed thusly:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Ian Collier wrote:

> > On Sat, 08 Aug 1998 01:59:35 -0500, Terry L Ridder said:
> > > Since Digital, and IBM where part of the original 7 (seven) companies
> > > that drafted the USB spec, and since both have become active supporters
> > > of Linux, those two companies would be the next stop.

> > IBM an active supporter of Linux? That would be nice.

> They are only now seeing the benefit of Open Source. They've brokered a
> deal with the Apache group to optimize Apache for WinNT, as long as they
> can use it in one of their new business products.

> When IBM asked the Apache group how much they want for liscensing, they
> all said nothing. IBM said, Really, how much??? The Apache group said,
> Really, we dont want anything.. Even if we did, there's no real entity to
> pay! (or something to that effect...)

Actually... That's not quite true. They did want, and get,
something. Code. From what I heard, IBM had some code and techniques
for performance improvements on Win32 platforms (Windows NT - yuck) that
the Apache group wanted and they got and released.

Code! The Open Source medium of exchange!

I also know from personal experience that there are several groups
in IBM that are working with Linux in a variety of capacities.

> -Shawn
> <=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
> Day 2029 for the poor and the middle class.
> Day 2048 for the rich and the dead.
> 893 days remaining in the Raw Deal.

Mike

--