Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Kragen (kragen@pobox.com)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:25:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Kragen writes:
> > On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> >> Yes, it *is* very much a kernel issue. What happens if you
> >> kill -9 the X server? The machine hangs because the kernel
> >
> > (It would be nice if someone had already written a small wrapper for X
> > that would sanify the console when X crashes, as Linus suggested. Has
> > someone? My X crashes every few months.)
>
> That was beat to death too: you can't do it. If you'd like to try,
> I have a "nice" Cirrus Logic clgd5430 card you can try to restore.
> . . . I can even
> hit the reset button and boot into an OS with official drivers,
> but it doesn't do any good. Only the big red switch works.

Does that mean X can't restore it either, if it exits properly? Does
it mean that some information which would enable us to reset the card
is lost when X dies? Or does it just mean that the card has crashed,
and nothing short of cutting power to it will get it into a sensible
state?

If the latter is the case, GGI/KGI won't help either!

Nevertheless, I would like to ask: does anyone have a program that does
this, for, say, a CLGD5446? (It might have the same problem as the
5430.)

Kragen