Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 19:22:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Kragen wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Does that mean X can't restore it either, if it exits properly? Does
> > > it mean that some information which would enable us to reset the card
> > > is lost when X dies? Or does it just mean that the card has crashed,
> >
> > The Cirrus cards have situations where unless you know the cards current
> > state you can't set a new state reliably. To make it more fun the registers
> > are sometimes write only
>
> OK. . . how much of the state do you need to know?

It varies widely from card to card |-<.

> And how frequently
> does that state change?

This also varies widely from card to card. It depends a lot on
what you are doing, too.

> I'd be a lot happier if I had a user-level
> X-server-babysitter program that knew that state, knew X was running,
> and knew how to reset the card reliably when X crashes.

Can't be done. The card would have to be able to recover no
matter where is is when it crashes, and that is impossible. X simply
cannot crash during a critical section. Ever. It also cannot be
interrupted by anything during a critical section. Ever. See my other
post in this thread for more info.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'