Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:10:03 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> My preference would be to store the inodes in the filesystem. If you're
> going to be using a user mode daemon anyway, as you've suggested in
> other mail messages, then let's define a well-defined interface for the
> kernel to notify the user mode daemon that new devices has apeeared
> (either at boot time or due to a PCMCIA/USB/1384 device getting
> inserted), so that the user mode daemon can create the devices as
> necessary.

Do we even need a daemon running all the time? We've just changed
module handling so that module requests simply invoke modprobe
directly rather than using a kludgy communication method with
kerneld. Is there something to be learned here?

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |