Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:33:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Rob Hagopian wrote:

> I'll probably regret saying this but: OK, with that reasoning why don't we
> put "bodyguards" in the kernel to protect the process from the person with
> the "shotgun?" The kernel does so already by protecting the init process
> so there's precedent...

We already have bodyguards. That's why normal users don't get to kill the
president.

If the presidents wife for some reason thinks she has a reason to take a
shotgun to her president, that's not something bodyguards are there for. I
think that you'll find that they don't have bodyguards in the presidential
bedroom.

Linus