Re: NFS hangs on 2.1.115

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 02:00:35 -0700

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:20:02 +0100 (BST)

At the moment you can't interrupt synchronous RPC calls with the
current kernel rpc code. Its on my NFS list still. I need to work
out why Olaf put if ( 0 && in front of the relevant test

Linus and I put that there. If you let that condition pass then the
deferred writebacks during close(fd) will try to return from the close
before finishing in the form of a restartable system call. This
breaks tons of programs out there, and we decided it was wrong
behavior so shut it off. See similar code in the deferred writeback
handling in fs/nfs/write.c and the IS_SOFT macro which is always
zero. It is part of the same thing.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com