Re: IRQ trouble

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:35:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Matthew D. Pitts wrote:

> > > Disable the IRQ on your video card. It is unnecessary. Most PC
> > > BIOS's have an "Assign IRQ2 to VGA" enable disable in CMOS setup.
> > > Set it to disable.
> >
> > I can't disable anything on my videocard.
> > Don't we just all love PnP? :-)
> >
> > And I never saw that option in my BIOS.
> > Besides, I thought IRQ9 was (unofficially) reserved for videoboards?
> IRQ 9 is cascaded to IRQ 2, so technically it doesn't exist. ( although my
> sportster winmodem uses IRQ 9 ;()

Yes. My modem is on what I refer to as IRQ 2. In DOS programs,
I set the software to use IRQ 2 and everything works. If I use
"IRQ 9", nothing works.

In Windows 3.1/95 I have to set it to IRQ 9 or nothing works. In
Linux, I set it to IRQ 2 and it works.

PC hardware is braindamaged IMHO. It would be nice to see a new
architecture with a PIC with 256 IRQ's, all non-cascaded in one
chip. Same goes for DMA and any other resources.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com