Re: CHALLENGE!!! =)

David Schleef (ds@stm.lbl.gov)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:30:42 -0700 (PDT)

> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, root wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody!!!
> >
> > This is a challenge for me ... and those who don't know how to
> > do it. =) How can I plug in a second SCREEN on a second VIDEO CARD in linux?
> >
> > I mean : I have a 15" SVGA Screen which I use in X-windows, and I would like
> > to plugin a 14" VGA Screen on a second video card....
> >
> > Do you know that?
> >
> > if yes, reply here and at KURDT@VIDEOTRON.CA
>
> Sure! It's easy!
>
> 1) Turn off computer
> 2) Open up your computer
> 3) Find a free bus slot for your second video card.
> 4) Plug the card into that slot.
> 5) Put the case back on the computer.
> 6) Plug the second monitor into the second video card on the back
> of the computer.
> 7) Plug the power cord for the monitor into the wall outlet.
>

> Piece of cake.

And this could potentially blow up both video cards, since they don't
typically have protection against two cards driving the bus at the
same time. (The Diamond Speedstar in my hand appears to use 74LS245's
to tristate the data lines, but if you connect the output of one to
the output of another when neither are tri-stated -- blammo!)

There are various web pages and FAQs discussing this. I have no references,
since it is just as easy for interested people to search for these as it is
for me.

The cases where you could potentially use two video cards (hardware limitation):

1 Both are on the PCI bus
2 One is on PCI and one is VGA on ISA (maybe)
3 VGA and MDA
4 You have a modified VGA card that translates bus addresses

Assuming you have such a combination ready, you must look for software that
can handle it. There is a commercial X server that handles multi-heading for
the PCI/PCI case. I've heard reports of people using MDA as a console and
VGA for X. Last I checked, there did not appear to be kernel support for
multiple consoles. (sounds like a fun project...)

dave...