Re: CHALLENGE!!! =)

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:11:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Tygrys wrote:
>
> > > This is a challenge for me ... and those who don't know how to
> > > do it. =) How can I plug in a second SCREEN on a second VIDEO CARD in linux?
> > >
> > > I mean : I have a 15" SVGA Screen which I use in X-windows, and I would like
> > > to plugin a 14" VGA Screen on a second video card....
> > >
> > > Do you know that?
> >
> > Not possible. The ,,excelent'' pc architecture allows only one (S)VGA
> > graphic card. However, you can plug in a VGA and a hercules :-)
>
> You can plug in two cards that support it. Matrox Millenium,
> Mystique support it, as do most S3 cards I believe. I think even
> a lowly Cirrus Logic supports it.

If you watch out for hardware bugs, most PCI cards can.

> The second and further cards do not act as VGA cards, but rather
> remap all I/O and video mem.

The PCI bus detects the conflict and puts the card(s) to sleep.
They can be woken up and remapped to a non-conflicting segment of PCI
address space.

> It used to be so that 2 VGA cards wouldn't work in a system
> together, but most common video cards work in a system now
> together I believe, just not as VGA's.

They have to remap their registers (VGA and otherwise) into their
PCI LAW.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'