Re: TX-PRO chipset

Mark Dennehy, BA, BAI (Mark.Dennehy@cs.tcd.ie)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 18:24:36 +0100

> From: "Vadim Gouterman" <vadimg@cadabratech.com>
> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Andrew Derrick Balsa wrote:
> > Anyone using an MVP3 chipset by VIA? Does the kernel support
> > this chipset? I'll probably go to K6-2-3D at the same time...
> Hello Andrew,
> I have a lot of weird problems running Linux on my machine.
> I have Epox EP-51MVP3E-M motherboard (VIA chipset) and AMD K2-2/300.
> Symptoms are: general instability, core dumps, crashes, etc. The
> only solution in my case was to disable external cache and enable only
> 16M of RAM.
> Does anybody know stable motherboard solution for the AMD K2-2 chip?

I am running with the same configuration (K6-2/300, EP-51MVP3E-M, 128Mb
PC100 SDRAM <crow, crow ;) > Quantum Bigfoot 6.3G UDMA HDD, 32x CDROM
and an 8Mb AGP XPERT@work) and I've had very similar problems. So have
two friends of mine (all three of us upgraded simultaneously to save
shipping costs). All three machines home-assembled. None have yet run
stably and we are now on the third variation of the motherboard. The
instabilities are in fact coming from the motherboard (Although I have
had a weird incident when Xfree86 simply refused to start under the
2.0.35 kernel. Works fine with the standard 2.0.34 Debian 2.0 setup, but
not 2.0.35.)
We've talked with Epox a few times, and were first told it was a
resistor in the power regulation circuitry. So, we replaced that with
their recommended resistor. (Working in a college has some advantages -
we got some time on SMD equipment during lunch hour). This however,
failed to stabilise the boards, so we talked to Epox again and were told
it was the cache, and that we'd have to replace the boards. The
replacements arrived a week ago and the machines still aren't stable.
I'm getting intermittent inode losses even after proper shutdowns (I'm
dual-booting with Win95 OSR2.1. Sinful, I know, but I still can't run
Total Annihilation or Unreal/Descent 2/Starcraft/EF2000/F22/FA-18/etc
under Linux. *sniff*) and occasionally, the HDD just quits and gives
timeout errors, and if I reboot, it won't find the HDD in the BIOS. I
have to totally shutdown and restart for that.
While I like a lot of the features in the Epox board, and really like
not needing Intel, I'm annoyed at the bugs. Hopefully, they'll figure
them out soon, otherwise, I'm getting a refund and a new, different
board.

ps. 596 Bogomips on a K6-2/300 ? C'mon, my P266MMX gets 489 !
*sheesh*
I've got to get an Alpha ...
:)

--