Re: Winmodem support

Chris Zwilling (chris@cloudnet.com)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 18:14:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998 kwrohrer@ce.mediaone.net wrote:

> And lo, Craig Schlenter saith unto me:
>
> (2) While it's cheaper to write software once than build better hardware
> many times, it's probably cheaper for those who care to pay enough attention
> to buy decent modems in the first place, or buy new ones (if they didn't
> do Linux when they bought the machine, or bought a machine that only came
> with a winmodem) than for good programmers to implement all the software
> a winmodem requires, even if they do get docs. Especially if there are
> significant differences in the various winmodems' hardware...
>
> (3) The only problem with (2), is all the people who don't know any better,
> don't want to pay for quality, and are buying up all those sub-$5 PC's.
> If Linux is to truly dominate the desktop, we'll have to do it over the
> heaped stupidity of the masses, or at least wait until everyone gets
> cablemodems and stuff. Nobody's going to bother to dumb down an NE2000
> far enough to make it incompatible but cheaper, right?

Yes, many people are too cheap to buy a decent modem. But there are
"decent" modems that have a UART on the card for under $50. As far as
Linux dominating the desktop - as soon as it becomes a serious threat
manufactures will release information or develop their own drivers. I
just hope that someone wises up and they stop making the "Win*" products.
(spit on their products).

; ; Chris Zwilling
; Don't let people drive you crazy ; chris@cloudnet.com
; when you know it's in walking distance ; System Administrator
; ; 320.240.8243