Re: Winmodem support

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 23:19:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Tracy R Reed wrote:
> Yes, which reduces cpu power which means you are paying more money for a
> cpu you are getting less performance out of.

Oh, don't get me wrong: a dedicated DSP for this kind of thing is
definitely a better way to go, in terms of scalability. However, these
things aren't made for servers: they're consumer-grade equipment built for
the masses. A computer, to the average person, is an appliance, just like
a microwave or a television. They don't care how it works, as long as it
does, and as long as they didn't pay much for it.

This kind of thing is my livelyhood, so I'll obviously pick and choose my
equipment carefully. The average person is simply not interested (and the
average person is starting to look at Linux, just because they've heard so
much bad stuff about a certain Redmond-based company).

I was just trying to point out that there are a few places where the
design could be a win. There's obviously places where it loses. ;-) And to
be sure, the currently available implementations are probably lacking. But
we'd know that if programming specs were available. ;-)

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

Linux labyrinth 2.1.115 #4 SMP Fri Aug 14 00:58:56 CDT 1998 i586 unknown 11:10pm up 1:20, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00