Re: A true story of a crash.

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 10:29:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> After some thought, you consider that fork-bombs are nowhere near as
> common on a relatively well-behaived "Personal" system as is running
> out of memory. Thus, it makes sense to kill the largest process not
> owned by root unless there are no more, then the largest process
>
> There's only one problem with this strategy --- which was originally
> used by AIX, by the way. If the largest process happens to be the X
> server, and the reason why you're out of memory was because you have

I have formulated some more rules, which should select the
proper process. If the X server sets CAP_RAW_IO (which it
really should), my process avoids the X server.

Furthermore, it selects on:
- memory size
- CPU used (loads of CPU --> hard to do again)
- time running (old process --> most likely stable)
- euid != uid
- euid = 0
- raw I/O capabilities (these processes are never killed)
- niced process (low priority)

I have made some calculations, and my killer function seems
to make realistic choices...

(I haven't tested it however, but the patch should be out
RSN...)

Rik.