Re: Out of ptys??

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 13:48:03 +0300 (EEST)

This is 2.1.115 FAQ thing:

orc@pell.portland.or.us (david parsons) wrote:
> Nicholas J. Leon <nicholas@binary9.net> wrote:
> >On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > # This system has been running 2.1.115 for awhile and it seems to work
> > # I just updated another machine, identical hardware, etc.
> > # It does not work.
> > #
> > # # rlogin quark
> > # rlogind: Out of ptys. <------------ What the hell!
> >
> >The major number from pty's has changed from 4 to 3 & 2 in 2.1.115.
>
> I don't know who did this, but, please, change the major numbers
> back; having to manually redo all the /dev entries for ptys
> every time you toggle the system between a <2.1.115 and >=2.1.115
> kernel will get old really fast.

Nicholas gave wrong reason.
If your system has not been running with TTY/PTYs of major
numbers 2 and 3 since 1.3.*, you truly are running an old
installation...

2.1.115 just REMOVED backwards compability support for
major '4' as tty/pty device number.

> ____
> david parsons \bi/ This is another case where devfs comes in handy.
> \/
That may be so, but it has its own problems..

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi>