Re: Irritating ext2fs corruption [solved]

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
16 Aug 1998 18:44:29 +0200

Jakob Borg <jb@k2.lund.se> writes:

> I did a few more tests and realized that I had assumed the loop device
> was unregistered when the (loop-mounted) filesystem was unounted
> (shouldn't it perhaps be? obviously not). When unregistered, the file
> dissapears nicely.

Bah. After I had been bitten by this a few times too often, I changed mount
and the loopback driver to auto-disassociate the loopback interface on last
close (via an ioctl which sets a flag).

Patches on request. Linus: Would it make sense to change the kernel for 2.2
to do this? Advantage: unmount(8) doesn't need to know about loopback.

--
Matthias Urlichs
noris network GmbH