Re: WinPCMCIA + Re: Winmodem

Garst R. Reese (reese@isn.net)
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 16:07:07 -0300

linker@z.ml.org wrote:

> This is quite distrubing, make sure you let them know exactly why you are
> unhappy with it..

That I did, and yes,it is quite disturbing. It smells like a deliberate
attempt to lock out Linux. The amazing thing is that it looks like it
also locks out OS/2 on an IBM box.
> Is there anything other then the Modem and PCMCIA that are windows only?
I presume the modem itself is ok, but it is a PCMCIA modem. Who knows
what else is buggered.
> What does linux do on it?
I installed Slackware 96 from CD. All seemed to go OK, but I got a hard
lockup when I inserted the Panasonic KXL-D740 PCMCIA card. Did not try
the modem card.
I recompiled the kernel for my config, but it would not load, and just
scrolled tons of garbage that looked like addresses down the screen.
I then tried installing a Linux Universe CD that had 2.0.25--same
results.
> On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Garst R. Reese wrote:
>
> > Ian Collier <imc@comlab.ox.ac.uk> helpfully wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 23:02:21 +0100 (BST)
> > Subject: Re: WinPCMCIA + Re: Winmodem
> >

> > Huh? The 385 is supposed to be the same as a 380 with some extra
> > software (it has the same model number), which is odd as I've installed
> > Linux and OS/2 on this 380 and no one told me I wasn't supposed to...
> >
> > imc
> > Hi Ian, I presume you have removed W98, so cannot check under setup the
> > properties of PCMCIA. But, how do you access BIOS settings? There was no
> > mention of this in the docs, none of the usual ways worked. Also, could
> > you e-mail me your /ect/pcmcia/ config.opts if you have changed it at
> > all. I am happy to hear that both linux and OS/2 work on the 380,
> > because that is probably what I will get in return for the 385.
> > Also, the 385 startup booklet specifically says that it is a W98 ONLY
> > box.
> > --
> > Thanks, Garst
Garst