Re: 2.1.115 and Cyrix detection

Rafael Reilova (rreilova@ececs.uc.edu)
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:02:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Rob Dale wrote:

> Fuzzy Fox wrote:
> >
> > Well, I am sad to say that my Cyrix is still not detected, and is
> > reported as a 486. Is anyone else using this chip and having it
> > reported correctly? What can I do to troubleshoot this?

First of all, what chip do you have?

> Why not port the Jumbo patch (against 2.0.35) to 2.1.x?
> It does proper detection of most everything.

The CPU detection code that is in the Jumbo patch is basically the same as
in post 2.1.109 kernels. It seems there is some glitch with 686(L)
detection due to a mistake in the setCx86() macro. People reported
getting correct detection when compiling the kernel for 486, but
non-detection when compiled as 586/686. The bug seems to be caused by an
incomplete asm clobber list in the above macro. This is fixed in the
2.1.116-2 (Linus rewrote them to use io.h: inb(), outb()).

The current Cyrix code follows Cyrix's CPU detection algorithm to the
letter, so I'll be very interested in any misdetections, but please report
the chip model you have, kernel version, a copy of /proc/cpuinfo, and the
CPU line in the boot messages ;-)

Cheers,

Rafael