Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:10:13 -0700 (PDT)

On 17 Aug 1998, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Jon> On 16 Aug 1998, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>
> >> But again, you just told us that you want to use kgicon to bloat
> >> the kernel with a ridiculous acceleration API which ought to never
> >> be included in the kernel.
>
> Jon> That "bloat" is usually about 5K.
>
> For one driver - not everybody wants to rebuild their own kernel (most
> people in fact).

Huh? kgicon drivers work fine as modules right now!

> >> Personally I am really sad about this, I thought things were moving
> >> in the right direction with fbdev on the PC now as well, seems not.
>
> Jon> Hey, you guys can do whatever you want with fbcon/fbdev.
>
> Obviously, its just sad to see someone trying to abuse it.

Deal with it. It's no skin off your nose.

> >> According to what you are telling us, you just want to disguise KGI
> >> under abscon and then later use that as an argument to try and push
> >> the `real' KGI into the kernel using the argument that its already
> >> there.
>
> Jon> We have never made a secret of our feelings that KGI is
> Jon> clearly superior to fbdev and that wie still hope to get it into
> Jon> the kernel someday. If you wish to regard kgicon as propaganda
> Jon> toward that end, fine. Its primary purpose is to give people
> Jon> some x86 fbcon drivers and to let GGI developers use and develop
> Jon> the KGI drivers while KGI is "in the shop", but if people see how
> Jon> much better KGI drivers are than fbcon drivers and get some
> Jon> enthusiasm for KGI/GGI as a whole, we certainly won't complain.
>
> Will you please stop calling them fbcon drivers then - they clearly
> are not.

Who the hell are you to say what is and is not an fbcon driver?
fbcon-kgi.c is a lot more conformant to the fbcon driver API as a whole
than a lot of the fbcon drivers that are in the kernel.

> Guess I shouild try to find some time and do a real fbcon
> driver for the card I have in the toy.

Be my guest.

Jon

---