Re: Out of ptys??

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
17 Aug 1998 16:37:08 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.6r7er3$2aj$1@palladium.transmeta.com>,
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
>Followup to: <199808161642.SAA32421@oboe.it.uc3m.es>
>By author: "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@it.uc3m.es>
>In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
>> >
>> > [1: a human generation is a good minimum life for a published
>> > interface.]
>>
>> Amen. Please take note: change nothing unless you are forced to.
>> That's the main argument against devfs (which I have nothing against as
>> an innovation, and everything against as am inevitable source of
>> pointless misery for application maintainers when what we have _works_.
>> Ditto non-exec stack.).
>>

>Note that the published interface is the /dev node!

No it isn't. The published interface is the major and minor
numbers. The /dev file is a clever hack to get at those major
and minor numbers as if they were a file (unless you're running
a devfs, at which point the published interface _does_ become
the /dev files, which is, IMO, a better place for publishing
the interface.)

>IMNSHO it is pretty darn unrealistic of everyone to think that you can
>get away with upgrading your kernel only;

Microsoft agrees with you, in that whenever you change your version
of DOS you have to replace a whole wad of system programs that
require a specific version of the operating system. However, that
is not a particularly good way of doing thing; the only reason you
should replace things other than the kernel is when you need to
install new runtimes that get at the new features of the kernel, but
the old runtimes should keep running as if you were still on the
older kernel.

____
david parsons \bi/ If I have to replace everything on my network to
\/ upgrade to 2.2, that's a pretty compelling argument
to never upgrade again.