Re: program 64 bit ready

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:34:08 +1200

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 11:54:37PM +0200, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Check out UltraPenguin or Linux/Alpha. These two Linux
> versions are running on 64 bit hardware and have full
> 64 bit support.

Actually, now that you mention it, it seems there are quite a few
places in the kernel where data structures are not aligned correctly
on drivers want to do stuff like insw on unaligned memory. Other
drivers do things like printk("blah %x\n",&blem) in several places.

Most of the time its not an issue, because you generally don't use
such drivers on the alpha.... I'm probably the only one who's ever
used a aha152x on the alpha as best as I know.

Anyhow, I guess now that things are in freeze, its probably a good
time to make a kernel with all options YES and all architectures and
see if we can make sure we get no significant warnings.

-cw