[Offtopic] Re: 128MB RAM on Linux

Tethys (tethys@ml.com)
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:48:39 +0100

>> Bizarrely, despite being probably the most FAQ in the Linux world,
>> it isn't in the FAQ. It's not in the LILO mini-HOWTO either, BTW.
>> The only place I've found it mentioned (other than on mailing lists)
>> is in the BootPrompt-HOWTO -- not the most intuitive place to look!
>>
>> This *really* needs to make its way into the Linux FAQ.
>
>When in doubt, remember - grep is your friend...
>
>cd /usr/doc/HOWTO
>grep "searchstring" * | less

Yep, that works fine for you or I, but is pretty useless for a newbie
trying to work out why their shiny new Linux box only recognises 64M
or RAM. That's why I say it should be in the FAQ.

This is getting offtopic for linux-kernel anyway. It's an LDP issue.

Tet

--
``Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils'' - General George Stark